Modern dentistry provides many solutions and treatments that maintain the natural look and feel of your teeth wherever possible, and that extends to fillings.
Traditionally, tooth fillings were made from silver-coloured amalgam. These are still used and remain a cost-effective and strong option.
However, white fillings are increasingly popular with Smith Street Dental patients who want to retain a natural appearance for teeth that have been filled.
Modern materials include a plastic composite, or ceramic materials like porcelain and zirconia.
Aside from appearance, white fillings are also chosen for their versatility, as sometimes metal amalgam fillings can cause tooth fractures as they expand and contract.
TOOTH FILLING PROCEDURE PROCESS
- You will be given local anaesthesia to numb the area around the tooth so you don’t feel a thing.
- Your dentist will use a drill to remove any decay and then shape the tooth for the filling.
- Your dentist will etch the tooth with an acid gel prior to placing the filling.
- Depending on your type of filling, your dentist may layer on the resin and harden it using a bright light.
- Once the filling has been placed, your dentist will polish the tooth.
Then you simply enjoy your new, strong, restored tooth.